Sunday 9 September 2012

Brussels by day

Phew! I am kaputt after walking all day in Brussels. Jean-Luc dropped me off at the flea market this morning and I have had a wonderful day exploring this lovely city both on foot and using the hop-on hop- off buses. It has wonderful architecture, especially the huge Gothic churches, lovely tree- lined boulevards, parks, trams and lots of Art Nouveau buildings with lovely wrought iron balconies.Also an interesting history with its Flemish and French influences. The Belgians make chocolates to die for, also yummy waffles and fine lace.Belgium is one of the 27 members of the EU with a very cosmopolitan multi-lingual population. The people are very friendly and patient with my stumbling efforts at speaking French. It has been German for the last few weeks so I am struggling with French. Their patois is interesting eg I am going to go to a Beethoven concert in the Bozar (Beaux Arts) on Tuesday. I am off to Bruges tomorrow and either to Antwerp or into some of the museums on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment