Tuesday 11 September 2012

Brussels again

A wet day yesterday so I had a quiet day, did my washing, went down to the local shop for some stores and read my book, while listening to the classical station on the radio. Actually it was really nice just to relax. Cathy has a very comfortable chaise lounge and I didn't move far from it! At night I went to a wonderful Schubert concert in the Bozar (Beaux Arts) Theatre. It was the first of three Schubert concerts and was the complete 1st and 9th symphonies. I was in 7th heaven in my balcony seat! Thought I was very clever catching trams both ways! Not quite so clever this morning, however! Jean-Luc showed me where to put my rubbish but I landed in the basement somewhere to find the lift door locked behind me! I came out the wrong door to find myself in an enclosed courtyard! I recognized the church I can see from my balcony and fortunately I had my apartment key, but I was nearly a block away from the apartment! Oh! The joys of apartment living in a big city!
Have had a cultural day today. I went into the magnificent gothic Sablon cathedral which had beautiful doors and stunning stained glass windows, then to two art galleries : the Musees Royaux des Beaux Arts, with the old masters and a Margriet exhibition. What a magnificent gallery with marble everywhere. I also enjoyed the musical instruments museum which had a very diverse collection of instruments and you walked around with ear phones to hear the sound each one made. It was such a good idea I thought. There is some really lovely architecture here as you can see from the photos.Brussels has a real buzz and the little cafes in this area where I am staying are very lively, especially at night with people spilling onto the pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment