Wednesday 29 August 2012

Schwarzwald again

This is such a pretty part of Germany. Today Heidi took me on a round trip back to Staufen where I studied 12 years ago. It was lovely to retrace my footsteps in this charming little village with a river running through it, cobblestone streets and the castle on the hill with its vineyards. Both the Goethe Institute and my Wohnheim are now shut, also the little railway station. However we went into Lottes Kneipe, the little pub where we used to drink and had our weekly Stammtisch. Lotte, now 81, was still working in the kitchen and was so pleased to see one of her old students. We went down the Munstertal and back up the Glottertal. There are huge farmhouses and many have little chapels - originally because in the olden days it was too far to go to church in town and the bells were also rung to tell neighbouring farmers if there was a fire and they needed help.We also looked in the lovely St Peter im Schwarzwald Kloster, a huge baroque church.I went mad with my camera as is all so picturesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment