Sunday 7 October 2012

Madrid three:

What a wonderful final day I have had in Europe. So much for a quiet day!! Margaret left at 10 am and I went straight to the Prado museum where I spent 3 hours. It is the wonderful National museum with a fantastic collection of the Golden Age Spanish painters - Velazquez, Goya, El Greco, Murillo, Ribera, plus works by the Italian Renaissance painters - Rafael, Botticelli, Fra Angelico; also Durer, Brueghel, Rubens etc. It is a stunning gallery. The photo of me with Velazquez is outside this museum.
It was a gorgeous warm 28 degrees and because there was a demonstration, many of the bus routes weren't operating, so I did a lot of walking. There was a huge police presence with sirens, barriers and helicopters! I had a sangria and tapas for lunch in the lovely Plaza Major and because there's a football match tonight between Barcelona and Real Madrid, the square was buzzing! I am going to do a photo blog of all the funny activities. There was such a festive air, but I suspect it will be noisy tonight here as this hotel is full of football fans!! The big stadium is the Real Madrid stadium. To England tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment