Monday 6 August 2012

Vienna

Thank God for air conditioning. I arrived in Vienna to 36 degrees today, so I've bought a 24 hour ticket for the Hop- on Hop-off buses, as it is too jolly hot to walk in the heat! Was delighted to finally see the Hundertwasser Haus. I knew he built the Kerikeri toilets, but I didn't know that he died in NZ. The bus was cool and again a very good commentary pointing out the important spots. I didn't realize that the Prater covered such a huge area. I'm off to another concert tonight with the Vienna Mozart Orchestra. It sounds lovely, complete with renowned opera singers and soloists, all in magnificent historical costumes and wigs, to give the 18th century atmosphere. Tomorrow I've got tickets for a training session with the Spanish Riding School, so I'm not wasting a moment.
I have to say that I think that Prague. Is a far more attractive city than Vienna, but the Viennese have the style that is lacking in the people in the Czech Republic. Once again I have lucked onto a very central, and very stylish hotel right in the centre of the city. I can even walk to the Spanish Riding School from here. It was so nice to be able to communicate again, albeit in German. I was very proud of myself managing to catch the correct train by myself in Prague, then the correct underground in Vienna to my hotel. It certainly saves taxi fares.However, I've just 'fallen in' by ordering a kleiner Braune, which turned out to be a small coffee and not the beer I thought I was ordering!! Must get changed now for the concert.More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment