Wednesday 15 August 2012

Lake Bled

It was worth the wait to get here today. It is some religious holiday or other, so shops in Ljubljana are shut and there were fewer buses running, so I didn't get here till after lunch. I honestly feel like I'm sitting in a picture postcard.Lake Bled is stunningly beautiful. I have just had a swim in the hotel pool and I am sitting on my balcony overlooking the lake. The lovely old St Martins church bells are ringing, kids are happily playing on the lake edge and a clarinet is playing below. It is a balmy evening and very pleasant just sitting here soaking up the lovely view. It is so picturesque, with the lake surrounded by mountains and forested hills, the castle above is lit up and the fountain is spraying out colored lights. Tomorrow I will climb up to the castle and take a boat over to the island in the middle of the lake. Apparently you should ring the bell 3times and make a wish for good luck.Lake Bled is also well known for hosting the World Rowing Champs several times.Slovenia reminds me very much of NZ and the people are friendly like us. Two girls chatted away to me on the bus and I've got another 'fan' in the restaurant on the lake. He made a beeline for me tonight. Quite flattering? Incidentally Otto was also Slovenian! I'm going to enjoy a couple of days catching my breath in this lovely place.

No comments:

Post a Comment